Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our 1st Book Review: Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren

Hey guys! I'm really nervous about giving my first book review. Yikes! I usually read from the young adult genre but recently I started to venture on romance and new adult. I have always wanted to read this book but I never had the courage to pick it up. Being a fan of fan fiction I was curious to where this book would lead and I'm happy to say that it did not leave me disappointed. 



Here's the synopsis from Good Reads: 

An ambitious intern. A perfectionist executive. And a whole lot of name calling. 

Whip-smart, hardworking, and on her way to an MBA, Chloe Mills has only one problem: her boss, Bennett Ryan. He's exacting, blunt, inconsiderate--and completely irresistible. A Beautiful Bastard.

Bennett has returned to Chicago from France to take a vital role in his family's massive media business. He never expected that the assistant who'd been helping him from abroad was the gorgeous, innocently provocative--completely infuriating--creature he now has to see every day. Despite the rumors, he's never been one for a workplace hookup. But Chloe's so tempting he's willing to bend the rules--or outright smash them--if it means he can have her. All over the office. 

As their appetites for one another increase to a breaking point, Bennett and Chloe must decide exactly what they're willing to lose in order to win each other.

(source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16102004-beautiful-bastard?from_search=true)


Things I love about this book:


Alpha female Heroine.


Unlike the usual weak and dependent heroine in stereotype romance novels. This novel features a female lead that is capable, career driven, intelligent and hard working. She basically is not willing to take shit from anybody including her boss. She has been working with him for almost a year and they banter a lot and finally they both snap and just act on their attraction for each other. 

Funny and interesting scenes. 

Personally, when I read I have this thing that when I find the book boring I stall or I just can't finish the book but with this book I was able to finish it in one sitting and I wanted to read the next book which is a great sign. I also found the dialogues funny and interesting. I love the way they argue and just have steamy sex afterwards. 


Things that I think could be improved;


More story line 


When I read these types of books can't help but compare it to Fifty Shades of Grey just because it is the first book that I read under the same genre. The problem for me was it had too much sex, I mean the characters were like talking for a minute or arguing and suddenly their having sex. It's not totally a bad thing for smut lovers or people who really read for erotica but sometimes it gets tiring because the actual story line is being forgotten or sometimes the sex becomes repetitive that it only prolongs the novel but does not actually do anything for the flow of the story. 

Overall Rating





I would rate this book 3.5 stars.

I really did not set a very high bar on this before reading this so I'm not disappointed with the story. I also loved somethings about this story which made it a great read. I really fell in love with Chloe and I truly feel the hotness of Bennett (I also love his name). I loved the arguments of the main characters because it was truly hot. Although, there were things that was a bit creepy like the panty ripping and hoarding (haha). Overall it was a light and fun read.  It also encouraged me to read more from the same series. Also, I absolutely loved the cover art. I recommend this book for new adult, erotica or romance lovers.



P.S 

This is our first review so expect that we will get better along the way. Sorry if you found this review weird or awkward or just plain ugly ( haha). If so, you can send us an email (bookishrants@yahoo.com) on what you enjoyed and what you think we can still improve on.We truly appreciate it.  We hope to be better in the future and provide great book reviews. Thank you for reading. Stay Awesome. 



No comments:

Post a Comment